Eating out can be fun for the whole family
If you do not eat out often, start slowly a couple of months out, talk to the children about restaurants, how exciting it is to order what they would like to eat, what is expected of them.
- start out with a child friendly restaurant (not McDonalds) where you know their service is quick and there is something they will like to eat on the menu.
- go out once a fortnight, then perhaps every 7-10 days to get them used to getting dressed and going out for dinner; tell them what a special treat it is.
- closer to the date start choosing restaurants that are relevant to your travels, if you are going to Thailand, take them to Thai restaurant so they are used to eating noodles and rice dishes etc.
- set a discipline standard and let them know that this applies at home and when out, don’t be afraid to put them in timeout or the like if needed
- remember if they do play up, we have all been in the same position at some stage and probably will again, your not alone, let them know it was not acceptable and try again next week.
- I once read in a travel book on Paris, that children are welcome in restaurants but take books or the like as children are expected to behave!